Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blogging Around

This is in response to Alex's post about the use of the "-thing"s in the short story, Cathedral.

I'm with you on this one, Alex. The one thing I took away from Cathedral was the importance of the idea that epiphany doesn't have to be a grand spectacle that uproots someone's life. And you've showed me that his simple word choice in his descriptions emphasized the normality of his experiences. I also never realized how much I use the word "chose" in french class. But it's true; French is a foreign language to me (no pun intended) in the same way the language of epiphany is foreign to the narrator. Well said, Alex. xD


This is in response to Chelsea's post about the lack of intimacy in Cathedral.

This is interesting, Chelsea, but I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. There's no doubt that the couple in the story has no intimacy: that much is very blatantly outlined. But I think relationships in real life don't need profound displays of intimacy to be quantified. And your choice to look for a lack of intimacy, in my opinion, is a little "glass half empty".
I think you may be having trouble finding intimacy in relationships because you're seeing high school relationships, which last an average of two months and consist of a lot of texting and not much else. I think once you move into a bigger world as you transition to college and your adult life, your views may change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Send Email