Saturday, February 27, 2010

Best of Week: Epiphany

This week, I was very fond of the themes brought up during the discussion of the short story, "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver. My mind was particularly stimulated by the question about the nature of epiphany. In the story, the narrator experiences somewhat of an epiphany while drawing a cathedral to show the blind man, Robert, what the majestic building looks like. In the end, he doesn't have to open his eyes to know that he created mastery and expressed himself, and he keeps his eyes shut when he tells Robert that the drawing is "really something". This anticlimactic ending to the story would disappoint most, but it says a lot about the way people experience abrupt changes of mind.

I keep thinking about how epiphany doesn't happen like it does on the TV show House. People don't stop mid-sentence with a look of mind-blowing comprehension on their face, then drop what they're doing to go implement their epiphany, like Dr. House is known to do. What more often happens is that someone has a minor "aha!" moment in their head and keeps it there, continuing to do whatever they were doing in the way they were doing it. But that little "aha!" causes bigger changes in their life when faced with similar situations in the future. After all, an epiphany is a change of mind or worldview, and in the narrator's case, it was in the way he views the blind and the way he expresses himself.

Therefore, I believe that it is a fallacy that an epiphany is this huge and monumental moment in your life when everything changes forever. People can experience many epiphanies which shape the way they interact with their surroundings. And they don't even have to be positive realizations; I recently had the epiphany that I'm often needlessly stubborn and probably won't ever change. But now at least I realize this, because sometimes knowing something bad about yourself is better than not knowing anything about yourself.

From this, I have decided that I like the way "Cathedral" ended. As a reader, I knew that the narrator had experienced an epiphany, even if his last statement was in his typical underwhelmed style. And I know that if the story were to continue, we would see the implementation of this epiphany in his life, hopefully for the better. I think we should all learn a lesson from the narrator and be more aware of the little epiphanies in out life.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you, Anna. I think that the way the man in Cathedral experiences his epiphany is extremely important. I also like what you said about how one small "aha!" moment can cause bigger changes in a person's life. I think that it's important to reflect on moments like this and use them in order to reflect and grow. I think that the author's style - and by extent the man's style - is very important here; his reflection of the epiphany is one of amazement and wonder. Overall, I think that many of your observations were very astute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing those mind-blowing moments on TV, but you're right. The world isn't anything like TV. You're also right in the sense that most aha moments affect you long term rather than short term. This made me think about most things in our lives, not just our aha moments. Most things in our lives build up to make us who we are today. I don't know of many things that only affect our short term lives, except for maybe food choices or something. Now though, I'm going to put my thoughts in better categories to help build up my long term life rather than my short term.

    ReplyDelete

 

Send Email