Saturday, November 14, 2009

iMedia: Levi's Commercials

I first saw the "America" Levi's commercial from the Go Forth campaign in a movie theater during the previews. I was slightly dumbstruck by the complete change in their approach to advertising. The usual Levi's jeans commercial consisted of gorgeous models wearing little to no clothing besides their signiture 501s, often integrating some sexual appeal, mythological theme, or a combination thereof. Basically, I would classify them as gratuitous. But this new one was amazing; you need only watch it to see that their sophistication and creativity level shot skyward at an impossible rate. It was artistic; historically relevant, yet refreshingly modern; frightening, yet optimistic. In short, something I'd never seen before from a company as commercial as Levi's.

I think "America" and "O Pioneers!" inform our culture of the relevance of recent history and the power of the individual versus the whole nation. I mean, where else would the public, so engrossed by their XBOXs and iPhones, hear Walt Whitman (who happens to be one of my favorite poets; I've had an excerpt of his writing on my facebook page for over a year) in a reading of some of his classic works? This ad exposes themes of rebellion and strength similar to that of the 1960s and the Vietnam war, while also keeping their message culturally relevant. Instead of implying that wearing their jeans will make you a supermodel and irresistible to the opposite sex, it emphasizes that Levi's has been there throughout history, witnessed it, and stayed strong. After all, the company has been around since 1853. I see the commercial as implying unity in the face of adversity while forcing us to see the mindnumbing change in our culture and outlook on the world since the last major crisis. Frankly, it's impossible not to see, what with their use of an image of an interracial couple, for example. The ad campaign is a striking sort of duality: eerie, haunting, intelligent, and most importantly, effective.

What struck me instantaneously upon viewing it, however, was not all of that. That came after, as I really thought through what I had just seen. My immediate reaction was how unbelievably cool the video was. The masterful artistry of the black and white scenes, the color scenes, the lighting and outdoor setting, the historical photography and the modern actors, the scratchy recording of classic American poetry, it all overwhelmed me. I left feeling confused that the commercial was even trying to sell me something, and therefore, more interested in the campaign as a whole. Something just worked through the ad; it was that ellusive je ne sais quoi. And to be honest, it left me, and many others, wanting more.


"America": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdW1CjbCNxw
"O Pioneers!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG8tqEUTlvs&feature=related

3 comments:

  1. Anna,
    First off, I totally agree with everything you said. Upon seeing these commercials, I was completely captivated. I experienced the same exact thoughts: "artistic; historically relevant, yet refreshingly modern; frightening, yet optimistic." Basically, it was the coolest Levi's commercial I had ever seen. Ever.

    Also, Anna, stop stealing my thoughts. This post addressed every thought in my head and you even brought attention to the ones that were elusively unaddressable (great minds think alike!) I was so happy to see a thought-provoking commercial with meaning and not a superficial figment of the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most unfortunately (not really) I disagree. I guess it's cool that they're using these powerful imaging stuff and whatever, BUT WHERE IS THE ADVERTISEMENT? Personally, I've always hated Levi's commercials. Because of the fact that they never advertise their product. Why go spend millions of dollars to NOT advertise? Stupid. I saw a Levi's commercial once that was literally 1.5 minutes of a car racing around a desert and kicking up dust. I was thinking, "Greeeat, another Audi commercial." Then, a "real american man" gets out of the car, they zoom in on his butt and LOOK, he's wearing Levi's. Flash their logo and it's peace out.
    No. You can't do that. It doesn't count as an ad. They might as well go spend their money on PSA's rather than the fake commercials.
    Not sure why I felt the need to rant about that. Oh well, must go post my blogging around now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually agree with Meghana's comment...but also you, Anna. =) I do think that this is sort of irrelevant to the product that they're actually selling. And while it's a bit cheesy, I actually found ti way more appealing than the regular supermodel ads. It didn't get me thinking, "Ugh, why is she so skinny and why is TV so fake?" The commercials, particularly the "America" one, had a different focus. Let's face it- we get bored of supermodels after awhile. This was a breath of fresh air, and while it wasn't strictly related to Levi's, it kept me watching for the whole minute. I really like this shift in thinking on Levi's part. They should run this around the Fourth of July in particular. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

 

Send Email