Sunday, September 20, 2009

Best of Week: Culture in The Kite Runner

In our class discussion of The Kite Runner this week, we came across the idea of culture in societies and how important it can be to deciding how to live your life. Previously, Amir fell in love with Soraya Taheri and wanted to talk to her, to get to know her, but he had to be careful of the gossiping of the other Afghans at the flea market and her semi-oppressive father. Finally, he got Baba to put speculation to rest with the formal ritual of asking Soraya's father for permission, something nearly unheard of in our modern American society, before the General was willing to consider Amir as his daughter's suitor. There were also other aspects of the Afghani culture which required careful contemplation before action, mostly regarding Soraya's image. Because of some mistakes she had made when she was much younger, many of her fellow Afghanis didn't consider her trustworthy, or even worthy to be a bride. Their culture guided Amir and Soraya's life for this entire section of the book.

This idea was so powerful to me because it seems foreign, yet I know it's not. It shocked me that in the United States in modern times, people still have to ask permission of their parents and elders before they can make decisions about their own life. I'm so used to the adults in my life telling me to be independent and to make my own choices in order to be a strong individual. But the adults in The Kite Runner want Amir to be anything but completely individual. They even slightly scorn both his and Soraya's career choices as a writer and teacher, respectively, because it's not the best they think their children can be. The adults are so focused on how they appear to outsiders in this foreign country that they would deprive their own children of happiness and passion for life.

It may seem cliche, but upon seeing how life could be for me if I were a slightly different person, or born to slightly different circumstances made me really appreciate what I have. I can be whatever I want, see whoever I want, live wherever I want, and like whoever I want. No one is standing over my shoulder, telling me what to do. I really am lucky to have this, as now I see that many people don't.

I'm not sure I'm going to "use" this knowledge, per se, but I know that it made me see what should have been apparent. And I know I've come to this same realization in the past, but everytime I do, it sparks something new in me. In the past, good things have come from the realization about how fortunate I am, like increased learning about things that I'm passionate about and trying new things, simply because I can. It motivates me to take advantage of every opportunity I have to better my future. The way I see it now, it would simply be irresponsible not to.

1 comment:

  1. Anna,
    I love the point that you bring up. As we've learned before, culture plays such a huge part in the everyday actions of people and the relations that people have. Culture is often thought of in the context of expressing oneself openly and freely, however you bring up a fascinating point that in the novel culture restricts one's individuality.

    Culture is often the roots of a story. It's fun to see what role it plays in stories. Culture determines the actions of characters. Culture determines the voice that the novel is trying to communicate with you. Culture is what keeps the story alive.

    However, I can kind of relate with Amir. I can feel the limits culture brings even upon myself. I guess the reason why culture brings its limits is because it is what has worked in the past and tries to shower its success upon you. But that raises another question. What's more important: success or the freedom to choose whatever you want? I guess culture somtimes struggles to find the middle ground. Hopefully as culture passes through generations, it will be able to blend and find that necessary change.

    ReplyDelete

 

Send Email